Dorset Coast setup files please

General MSTS related discussion that doesn't really fit into any of the other specific forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: DORSET COAST SETUP FILES PLEASE.

Postby paulco on Thu May 18, 2017 2:43 pm

slipperman12 wrote:Hi Paul,
You mentioned, in an earlier post, that you intend to have several mini routes - how will you set them up?

I don't know how other members have their installations set up, but this is my recommendation :
1. Install MSTS from its CDs,following the Steam4Me tutorial - this should include the v1.4 update; make sure it runs correctly.
2. Add the MSTS Bin patch (v1.8.0521 EN). Check it still works OK.
3. Add all the extras you usually use, like XTracks, NewRoads, UK FineScale, etc. This is not essential, but can save time later. Re-test to make sure all is still OK.
4. Take a backup if the whole MSTS root folder - this may be called Train Simulator or !MSTS, or whatever name you chose. Rename the backup folder to something like : !MSTS - Basic Backup.
5. A copy of the backup folder is used to create any new installation - the backup folder NEVER has any routes or stock added to it.
6. When you want to create a new installation, say for Dorset Coast, make a copy of the backup folder and rename it, something like : !MSTS - Dorset. Install the route into this installation. Make a Desktop shortcut to its train.exe.

The installation resulting from 6. is not a true mini route, because it contains all the MSTS default routes and stock, and needs Train Store or Mike Simpson's Mini Loader to run successfully. The latter is easier to use - download it from UKTS (file ID 19412), place mini_loader.exe into the MSTS root folder (same as train.exe) and create a Desktop shortcut to it (renamed as required) - the original train.exe shortcut (see 6. above) is not required.

NOTE : If you are using an Operating System later than XP, files launcher.exe and train.exe (in the MSTS root folder) MUST be set to "Run as administrator" in ALL installations.

I realise that to follow the above, would need you to start from scratch again, but I believe, in the end, it'd be much easier for you to make additional mini routes.
It is also useful to have a basic installation, with the MSTS default name (ie as installed at 1.), so that mini routes, like MEP, can copy all its required files and folders from it.

Cheers,
Ged

Hi Ged, thanks again for reply.

In answer to your:- "You mentioned, in an earlier post, that you intend to have several mini routes - how will you set them up".

My idea was to have "Mini Routes" for each Route installed on, Say Drive C: With a Shortcut On the Desktop for each Non-Default Route used such as:- "Dorset Coast" and "Thames Mersey" and then maybe later on a couple more Routes could be added.

That was my Idea?. Sounds good to me but whether it actually works is another thing all together.

Regards

Paul.
Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1
Intel(R) Core (TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @2.50 GHz
8.00 GB
64 BIT Operating System
NVidia GEFORCE GTX 1050 Graphics Card.
paulco
Very Active Forum Member

Postby slipperman12 on Thu May 18, 2017 3:19 pm

Hi Paul,
Your ideas are fine! All you need is a solid base from which to start.
This is part (about half) of my current setup :

To avoid the need for separate Desktop icons for each installation, I use my utility MSTS_Swap :
 Click to view more informationORTS / MSTS Utility -- MSTS_Swap v1.6 [1156350 bytes] - MSTS_Swap.zip
File ID: 36732 Date: 16 May 2017 - 130 Downloads

Cheers,
Ged
Intel i5-4690K (3.5Ghz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 8GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB) graphics card, Asus Xonar DS sound card. Win 7 Pro 64 bit.
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Postby paulco on Thu May 18, 2017 4:02 pm

Your ideas are fine! All you need is a solid base from which to start.
This is part (about half) of my current setup :

To avoid the need for separate Desktop icons for each installation, I use my utility MSTS_Swap :
 Click to view more informationORTS / MSTS Utility -- MSTS_Swap v1.6 [1156350 bytes] - MSTS_Swap.zip
File ID: 36732 Date: 16 May 2017 - 130 Downloads

Cheers,
Ged

Hi Ged.

I liked the Idea of a Shortcut for Each of my Routes on my Desktop, so I could just Switch on my Computer, select one and Go.

I have spent a good part of the Day between Forum Replies Searching through UKTS files for an Item of Stock needed for an Activity in the Dorset Coast Route:-

"File:Trains\Trainset\MT_SWTClass_458\MT_DB_SWT_458_DMCO.eng". But no matter what Combination of this I use, I am getting no Results at all.

Any help please?

Thanks

Paul.
paulco
Very Active Forum Member

Postby slipperman12 on Thu May 18, 2017 4:40 pm

Hi Paul,
I think you'll find this is the file you require!
 Click to view more informationClass 458 No.009 [SWT] [6227541 bytes] - Class458009_SWT_Installer.zip
File ID: 19683 Date: 05 Sep 2008 - 3473 Downloads

You'll also need File IDs 12248 & 4688 for its cabview and sounds respectively.

Cheers,
Ged
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Postby paulco on Thu May 18, 2017 5:11 pm

Click to view more informationClass 458 No.009 [SWT] [6227541 bytes] - Class458009_SWT_Installer.zip

Cheers,
Ged

Hi Ged.

Thanks a lot have now Downloaded these.

Regards

Paul.
paulco
Very Active Forum Member

Postby paulco on Fri May 19, 2017 9:00 am

paulco wrote:

Cheers,
Ged

Hi Ged.

Thanks a lot have now Downloaded these.

Regards

Paul.

Hi Ged.

I am in the process of Installing the Mini_Loader.

Have followed Mini_Loader Readme Instructions to the letter, looks like a piece of cake, but as usual having problems.

Everything works well until the Main Train Simulator Screen kicks in then it loads to about 70% ish then hangs up.

I don't understand why because it works pefectly well in Train Store.

Would this MSTS_Swap programme do the same sort of thing.

Thanks

Paul.
paulco
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Dorset Coast setup files please

Postby slipperman12 on Fri May 19, 2017 12:59 pm

Hi Paul,
Taking your last point, first - No, MSTS_Swap only switches the MSTS Registry settings so that a selected utility, which reads the Registry, can be run on the selected installation.

Mini Loader. I'm assuming that you've got a Desktop icon for the Mini Loader. When you double-click the icon, you should get the title screen - click OK; you may get a message indicating that you haven't selected a route - you can ignore this and click the OK button. You'll then see the main screen, where you need to double-click the route, then press the Confirm button. When that's done, you select the activity you wish to run and press the "Activate Selected Activity" button, followed by "Run Route". Mini_Loader.exe must be set to "Run as administrator" if you're using Vista, or a later OS. In the "Filter options for train.exe" box, you should enter the memory switch parameter, eg -mem:2048

Make sure you've unstored everything in Train Store before trying to run the same route with Mini Loader, and conversely, click the "Unstore all" button in Mini Loader before running the route with Train Store.

If you've done all the above, I would suggest that there is a problem with the route you're trying to run.

Cheers,
Ged
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Postby paulco on Sat May 20, 2017 1:44 pm

Hi everybody.

Mini Route Creation for Dorset Coast almost completed as per Readme instructions at this Point, then I get:-

( This is a paragraph from the "Mini Route" Readme File. )

"Once this completes, in the left window find Routes\DORSET COAST, double click and make sure your mini-route's path appears in the top border of the main Route_Riter window. (Yes it does) Then click the Mini-Route Compact Tracks button. Click OK.

This takes a while, but once it is finished you should set up an icon pointing to the train.exe in your new mini-route and it should run OK. "

But it Runs for a while and then Hangs up with the Message:- Path=C:\Dorset Coast\Train Simulator Route=Dorset (Not Responding)

Any help with this please because I'm completely confused.

Many thanks

Paul.

P.S. is there an alternative to Route Riter Please.
paulco
Very Active Forum Member

Postby slipperman12 on Sat May 20, 2017 2:18 pm

Hi Paul,
it Runs for a while and then Hangs up with the Message:- Path=C:\Dorset Coast\Train Simulator Route=Dorset (Not Responding)

You have previously reported that when using Mini Loader, this route wouldn't start, which is a similar situation.

Have you run the route through Route_Riter to check that it's OK? When you've confirmed the route, click the Check Route button, then wait for the report.
There is also the Integrity Check, but that is quite complicated, and would take a long time to explain :)

You can also get Route_Riter to check all the activities, but you will first need to unstore everything, if using Train Store or Mini Loader.

However, please be aware that a mini route created by R_R still has all the consists and stock of the original route, which doesn't help matters, unless you use Train Store or Mini Loader.

Cheers,
Ged
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Postby gswindale on Sat May 20, 2017 4:35 pm

Hi,

It may also be worth noting that with Dorset Coast that sometimes the "not responding" messages can go away if you wait a while.

I did, a few years ago, a little test with everything from the V3 cd unstored and fired up the sim. It took over 20 minutes from memory and the MSTS window did at some points read "not responding". (I tend to run in a window these days as I'm normally using my other screen for something else at the same time!)
Geoffrey Swindale.
Truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
gswindale
Very Active Forum Member

Postby mrmosky on Sun May 21, 2017 11:55 am

Another option for installation may be to create a clean new installation as Ged suggests, but on a memory stick. I have just done this, and included just the Settle Carlisle route, and then installed the patches and updates, as recommended (including Xtracks and newroads). This comes out at just under 1 Gb.

Now it should be possible to copy this stick onto another one, and then install a single route onto the second stick. So the first memory stick is the master one that never gets added to, and for each new route, a new stick is created. They are so cheap these days. This way the route can be run off of the stick and it loads really quick.

Geoff
mrmosky
Getting the hang of things now

Postby mrmosky on Sun May 21, 2017 12:15 pm

Oh, and provided you use the same usb slot each time you change sticks, the registry entry will always point to the right drive letter. This way, you have no clutter on your main hard drive, and if you have to change computers, all your routes will be ok.

Anyway, it's something I am going to try.
Geoff
mrmosky
Getting the hang of things now

Previous

Return to [MSTS1] General MSTS Discussion