2017 Barry. Maritime

Ship Simulator is a great simulator which seeks to simulate boating from small taxi craft to giant cargo ships and the Titanic. There's also the excellent Virtual Sailor for a highly realistic experience that includes wind-sailing, submarines and multiplayer!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 2017 Barry. Maritime

Postby precar on Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:13 pm

Before I start updating these routes I would need to know what the position is with the Blender Integrated game engine if I decide to continue making them available for download.

It would not be feasible to make routes available for download if Blender changes to standalone routes and drops the embedded player. Say a route at present time about 7 meg to 15 meg. If packed as standalone without having Blender installed might be many time larger at about 70 meg?

So before I start to update the routes I would have to wait a while to see what happens...and by then I probably will have lost interest in making routes with Blender....

In my opinion what is really needed is a free /open source Game Engine/route editor, specific to making maritime routes. Also though, able to cater for a range of types of computers, laptops and computer tablets. The game engine also able to make a range of settings for low to high end' 'computers'. People with an interest in maritime essential as part of the equation.
Again unlikely to happen... also 'time', keeps moving on.

Up to route 43..Starting from the Solway Firth to the Thames Estuary. It would need another 1 or 2 routes making up to London.
Routes 05 to 09 currently available for download.

Barry
precar
Well Established Forum Member

Postby precar on Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:22 am

I have removed the maritime route downloads from my site for the time being.
With little to no interest and with the uncertainty of possible changes to the Game Engine in the future I will give Blender a rest for a while. I might start writing up the descriptive pages again on my site or give them a rest also.

Barry
precar

Postby precar on Tue May 02, 2017 3:14 pm

As 45 routes already made I will probably start to update them at a very leisurely rate.
So uploaded start of routes 00 Isle of Man version 2. Just a textured coastline added and simple scenario collect barrels.
I will leave ONE route online for download and replace with the next route in the series when updated to version 2.
No timescale for the updates or when I replace routes so refer to site if interested.

Barry
precar

Postby precar on Wed May 10, 2017 10:44 am

Downloads discontinued for the present time and will see what happens with the future updates to the Blender Game Engine.
The descriptive details and mini screenshots will still be available for now, as I write up the descriptive pages written around the Blender routes. Also it depends on interest in the downloads which is .....sparse.

B
precar

Postby precar on Sat May 13, 2017 10:33 am

Re: Maritime routes : Blender Game Engine. Era maybe to 1815

As I had already made 45 routes in the Blender Game Engine 25 km to 45 km have started the rotation of them again on my site. Isle of Man and Solway Firth around to the river Thames...with very slow updates. It all depends on the Blender future updates ver 2.8 onwards whether they will continue to work.

I will try and include a scenario in each. Essential that you have Blender installed to open and run the route (blend file). Blender is free and open source. You do not need to know how to use Blender.
roaming camera keyboard keys are , (comma) . (full stop) to raise and lower - arrow keys to move around.
Drivable ships/boats wasd small gaff rig boat, tfgh sailing-flat (barge with sail), ijkl for schooner or paddle-wheel basic steamer with sail.
With the scenarios you will need to touch cargo with ship/boat, etc.

I will probably keep one to a few available for download at any one time some with updates..at time of posting no. 1 full Isle of Man online.
The first number is the route sequence number, the last number is version number (some updates might be small and hardly noticeable) such as lighting, etc. Isle of Man is version 2. Next will be the upper Solway Firth with parhaps scenario for Annan harbour c1815 (maybe)...if I remake it. The routes won't change as frequently as before...as no rush for updating the routes. If any relevant queries please post. Any technical very complex Blender queries best to refer to Blender site as I probably won't know the answer.

Barry
precar

Previous

Return to [SHIP] Ship Simulators