Maritime routes : Blender Game Engine. Era maybe to 1815

A fantastic, very powerful and free 3D modelling tool for which you can now get a Rail Simulator export! Includes many features the pro's use that are not found in 3D Canvas like texture baking; but is a lot more tricky to use than 3D Canvas.

Moderator: Moderators

Maritime routes : Blender Game Engine. Era maybe to 1815

Postby precar on Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:22 pm

Maritime routes : Blender Game Engine. Era maybe t0 1915

http://www.barrygandsw.co.uk/intro01.html

As people who read the Blender forum must be interested in Blender, perhaps it would be better to post here.
On the ship simulator UKTS forum the posts seem to be mainly mine.

At the present time I am not sure if the routes will still run in the Blender Game Engine with the possible changes to the BGE in the Blender updates.

As my interests are maritime simulations I will update the details.
I have made several routes in the Blender Game Engine up to 20,000 meters approx.
I am interested in following the coastline around with larger size maritime routes starting from the Solway Firth to reach the Thames Estuary.

So far made 37 basic routes terrain based on srtm2...using 3DEM and latest Blender script to generate the terrain.
Working along the South Coast and next route will be Portsmouth. Route size is 25km to 45 km approx.

I am making the routes available for download and rotating them as I am limited with space etc.
The idea is to complete the basic routes up to the Thames then update them as an ongoing process.
Basic routes are terrain textured using 3DEM...Roaming camera...water animated to rise and fall to simulate wave swell...One floating drivable boat/ship with sail. I have made the sea but rivers still to be made and objects added.

Although the age of sail I would be interested anybody wished to try the routes with their own ships. Any era and any country could be made.

I ma starting off descriptive diary type pages for 5 routes on each page for these larger routes.
An open source maritime related forum would be ideal but to enable me to make the routes available for download I only know of Blender.

That's about it and if I reach the Thames the virtual ships crew with celebrate with a few noggins of rum.
Incidentally I can include scenarios in these routes eventually should anybody be interested.

My thanks to the UKTS management.

Barry

P.S You need to have Blender installed to open the blend file (route)
zip file has texture folder, one blend file, readme (if I remember to enclose it)
precar
Well Established Forum Member

Re: Maritime routes : Blender Game Engine. Era maybe to 1815

Postby precar on Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:48 pm

I am listing the downloads in blocks of 5...probably change each week or so to the next five in rotation.
Isle of Man, Solway Firth Upper, Solway Firth Lower, Lakes coastal area, Cumbria. Starts with basic routes first version... 01 at end of link name.

Barry
precar

Postby precar on Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:55 pm

Found that some of the flat faces on the boom of the schooner were missing. I have 4 varieties of sail on the schooner so will replace the schooners when I start updating the routes and add a bit more variety to the routes..also maybe scenarios. The land starts getting very low around the Thames Estuary so not sure if that area will look OK when I make it from srtm2 data.

The sailing flats (barges) also need some more work on them.

Barry
precar

Postby precar on Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:37 pm

It is a conundrum whether to post on the Blender Forum as it is about Maritime Routes.
If maritime the perhaps better on the ship simulator forum?

Maybe better for me return to UKTS hip Simulator Forum with over 40 basic maritime routes made.

Thanks

Barry
precar

Postby precar on Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:20 am

I have removed the maritime route downloads from my site for the time being.
With little to no interest and with the uncertainty of possible changes to the Game Engine in the future I will give Blender a rest for a while. I might start writing up the descriptive pages again on my site or give them a rest also.

Barry
precar

Postby precar on Tue May 02, 2017 3:17 pm

As 45 routes already made I will probably start to update them at a very leisurely rate.
So uploaded start of routes 00 Isle of Man version 2. Just a textured coastline added and simple scenario collect barrels.
I will leave ONE route online for download and replace with the next route in the series when updated to version 2.
No timescale for the updates or when I replace routes so refer to site if interested.

P.S. Also posted on ukts ship forum

Barry
precar

Postby smiljacc on Mon May 08, 2017 9:46 am

You should post on the UKTS ship forum and not in the blender forum.Blender forum should be for helping people with blender,not about a particular simulator.Thanks.
smiljacc
Getting the hang of things now

Postby precar on Mon May 08, 2017 10:28 am

quote 'You should post on the UKTS ship forum and not in the blender forum.Blender forum should be for helping people with blender,not about a particular simulator' end quote.Thanks.'

What 'particular' simulator are YOU talking about as I have no idea!
It is essential that I post here at times as you need to have Blender installed to run the maritime routes!
The routes ARE blend files and this forum is about Blender!

For those that want one any specific help in the BLENDER game engine for maritime routes might be best to post here but my main posts about BLENDER routes are in the maritime forum. However should the the moderators or management require otherwise please advise.
Actually I an changing the Blender functions in the maritime routes and removing the drivable aspect of the ships and boats and concentrating on the animations of ships between harbours. This saves the problems of using either 'dynamic or 'rigid body' , although 'rigid body' works reasonably well.

Please refer to the maritime forum for ongoing details and to this forum if the maritime blender details are more specific to Blender...at least for my posts.

Finally as this post is in reply to the original poster I am well aware or what the Blender forum is for and mentioned these details several times, as I am grateful to the moderators and to the management for the use of their forums!

Many Thanks

Barry
precar

Postby precar on Mon May 08, 2017 12:02 pm

Also with possible changes to the Blender Game Engine starting from the 2.8 series think I have been undecided of the size of the Blender routes to make available for download. I am trying to pre-guess what will still work in the future.
So 45 routes already made at 25 km to 45 km size starting from the Isle of Man around to the Thames estuary.
I will start to put these routes back online for download rotating them.
I was going to put the 20 km maritime routes but all guesswork as what will continue to work in Blender.
Copy and paste seems to work well enough (on my computer) in the Blender routes of seperate objects, etc so will copy and paste from the 20 km size into the 25km to 45 km size.

Also I must stress that it is essential to have Blender installed to open the blend file (the route).
If I try to make them without Blender installed to be self standing, it would not be possible to make them available for download. The 10meg or so might become 100 meg.and download space is limited on my site.

Further details of the available routes will be on the UKTS ship simulator as is usual with my posts.
Any relevant technical maritime Blender route queries possibly best on this forum ?

At least the original poster helped me to make a decision :)

Barry
precar

Postby precar on Wed May 10, 2017 10:42 am

Downloads discontinued for the present time and will see what happens with the future updates to the Blender Game Engine.
The descriptive details and mini screenshots will still be available for now, as I write up the descriptive pages written around the Blender routes.

B
precar

Postby precar on Sat May 13, 2017 10:19 am

As I had already made 45 routes in the Blender Game Engine 25 km to 45 km have started the rotation of them again on my site. Isle of Man and Solway Firth around to the river Thames...with very slow updates. As it all depends on the Blender future updates ver 2.8 onwards whether they will continue to work.

I will try and include a scenario in each. Refer to the UKTS ship simulator forum for most of my posts and info updates, unless Blender game engine technical and perhaps this forum then would be best?

Barry
precar

Return to Blender